«La primera obligación de todo ser humano es ser feliz, la segunda es hacer feliz a los demás»

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Independent Project

Over the course of about a month I, along with other REACHers, have been working on a project concerning a career of interest. This project consisted of doing research on a certain field, interviewing a professional from that field, and preparing a presentation on our findings. Before this project I had a very broad idea of what I wanted to do with my future. Of three things I was sure: I want to help people, I enjoy working with children, and I want to incorporate language and its importance in whatever field I choose. With the guidance of REACH, the help of my mother, and the interview process which I underwent I was able to achieve a much clearer vision of what I truly want.

I combined my interests together and now know that teaching is something I would like to pursue. Specifically, elementary level teaching under the Dual Immersion/ Bilingual Developmental Program. Teachers greatly influenced me as a child and have contributed immensely to my love of learning. Also I was part of the Bilingual Developmental Program when I was in second grade and benefited greatly from it. This program serves the purpose of helping children, whose native language is Spanish, be able to read and write in both their native language and in their second language which in this case would be English. Thus becoming bilingual and biliterate. This program is different from the Dual Immersion program, in which students of different native languages are placed in the same classes from an early age and by the time they reach high school they will be fluently bilingual.

I interviewed Ms. Camelia Ortiz-Alvarez, a second grade teacher with 18 years of experience under the Bilingual Developmental Program. I learned valuable information and am extremely grateful for the advice I received. Ms. Ortiz shared with me the challenges and rewards of teaching, what it takes to get there, and the great importance of knowing more than one language. After the interview I left with a much clearer vision of what I wanted and with more determination. I want to help people, and what better way to help than by guiding children in their pursuit of learning. I will work to keep the curiosity that characterizes children alive and in full blaze, I will work to help them along their growth, and I will work to serve as motivation and as a support system for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment